Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Filling up the Heart

"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.  You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good?  For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in  him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.  But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken"

~Matthew 12:33-36

What do you fill your heart up with??  As we have been studying James in church we took a little detour and looked over at Matthew.  I was really impacted by the above passage.  It isn't anything new but it has been a while since I have really examined my heart and my tongue.

I speak quickly and easily and often do not think about what I am going to say.  How do my words impact those around me?  Do my words build up Michael?  How do my words shape my precious children?  Am I someone that people want to be around?

We were reminded that taming the tongue is not something that man can do.  While that feels a little helpless, the above passage reminds me of something that I can do.  What am I filling my heart up with?? Is it the latest show on tv that I can't miss?  Or am I slowing down my pace so that I can be filled with God's word?

Ever since having kids I have struggled in the area of making time to be still before God.  Where I once had time to soak in His word I feel like I am living off of snacks.  I get all kinds of advice from people and yet deep within I know that it really comes down to me making the time for it.  Am I willing to trust that He will sustain me through the day if I get up 30 minutes before I normally would?  Am I willing to give up the show I want to watch so that I can listen to what He wants to say to me??  Am I taking the time that God has provided me with and using it in ways that are pleasing to Him?

I want my words to be seasoned with His.  I have nothing of worth to give to others except for that which first came from Him.  I want to fill up on Him so that my words may be a sweet offering to those around me.  I am praying for a deeper hunger and thirst for his Word.  How can I also do things that will allow Michael to have this same time?  We need to be fighting for ourselves and for one another.


No comments: