Monday, June 28, 2010

Overseas with Baby!

As some of you may know, we are planning on going to Jordan and Rome this summer. This will require some new solutions for little Haddie. Of course whatever we take has to be compact, lightweight, durable, and easy to use. Like most families, we have a pack 'n play that we have used from time to time. However, there was no way that we were going to be able to pack that for this trip. I started searching for travel beds. I continually came up with the Pea Pod by KidCo. After looking at several cheaper alternatives, I quickly realized that the PeaPod was the best product for safety, durability, and functionality.
We decided to try it out earlier this month when we went camping. It was not exactly the greatest experience. Haddie would go down in it okay but in the middle of the night would wake up and want to get into bed with us. As you can imagine, this did not lead to good sleep. Upon returning home I decided to keep it open in her room so that she would get used to it. This was our ticket to good sleep for 3 weeks-we had to make it work! We also put it in her crib for naps so that she would get used to sleeping in it. At first I started to have her sleep in it without the top fully zipped shut. But now she will nap in it with me zipping it shut! I am so excited. As we leave in a little under 3 weeks I was beginning to get nervous that this was going to flop. I think it is starting to work!
As you can see, all that you need fits in this handy little bag. There is even an air pump that you can use to blow up a mattress that goes in a separate compartment under the PeaPod. You don't have to worry about your little one messing with the mattress. There is an additional pad that goes in the main section of the PeaPod. I still lay a blanket down for Haddie.

When it is open it is: 47" L x 30" W x 19" H
When it is in the bag it is: 14" L x 5" W x 14" H

This is a perfect option for outside (think beach, pool) as well as it provides UV protection and wind protection while making it possible for you to still see your little one. For us, it will be nice to have Haddie in a place free from bugs crawling into bed with her! I have a feeling that we will be using the PeaPod in place of the Pack 'n Play with future babies. It is so handy when you are going away to have the small compact sleeping solution!

As I was going through the process of looking for good baby gear for traveling I realized that it can be quite hard to find good reliable information. I don't mean just traveling to the park or to grandma's for the weekend. I am talking about overseas travels! So, over the next few weeks as we countdown to takeoff I am going to highlight products that we have found to be helpful as well as a report when we get back! While traveling with a baby requires more work than just traveling as a couple, it is not impossible with the right equipment.
Happy traveling!

1 comment:

Sarah Joyner said...

Lindsey, I am totally excited to follow your blog as well! We seem to have a lot of the same interests and I can't wait to learn from you as you have travelled the terrain of mommiehood one step ahead of me. :) I need to check out your cloth diaper post below. We have tried three different types.